CHRIST CHURCH, PENRITH - SAFEGUARDING
At Christ Church, Penrith, as part of Carlisle Diocese in the Church of England, the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults is an absolute priority for the Church. We are therefore committed to protect and care for everyone in the church community, but especially adults at risk and children.
We are committed to:
- The care of, the nurture of, and respectful pastoral ministry with all children and adults.
- The safeguarding and protection of all children and adults.
- The establishing of a safe, caring community which provides a loving environment where victims of abuse can report or disclose abuse and where they can find support and best practice that contributes to the prevention of abuse.
To this end we will:
- Carefully select, support and train all those with any responsibility within the church, in line with the Church of England’s Practice Guidance for Safer Recruitment.
- Respond without delay to every complaint made that a child or adult may have been harmed, cooperating with the police and local authority in any investigation.
- Seek to offer informed pastoral care and support to anyone who has suffered abuse, developing with them an appropriate ministry that recognises the importance of understanding the needs of those who have been abused, including their feelings of alienation and/or isolation.
- Seek to protect survivors of abuse from the possibility of further harm and abuse.
- Seek to challenge any abuse of power, especially by anyone in a position of respect and responsibility, where they are trusted by others.
- Seek to offer pastoral care and support, including supervision, and referral to the appropriate authorities, to any member of our church community known to have offended against a child or adult.
In all of the above:
- We will follow legislation, guidance and recognised good practice.
- We will monitor and regularly review our safeguarding procedures.
As a church, we have adopted the Church of England's safeguarding policy 'Promoting a Safer Church': See https://www.churchofengland.org/sites/default/files/2017-11/cofe-policy-statement.pdf
If you are concerned that someone you know about may be suffering harm please contact:
Our Parish Safeguarding Officer, Elaine Jenkins on 01768 891206.
or Revd Canon David Sargent (Penrith Team Rector) on 01768 863000
or the Diocesan Safeguarding Officer, Charles Proctor, on e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or tel: 07458 016884.
If none of the above are available and you believe a child be at immediate risk, please contact Cumbria Children’s Services using the 24 hour number below, or the police.
Cumbria County Council Children's Services
The multi-agency safeguarding hub or an out of hours social worker can be contacted on: 0333 240 1727
Urgent concerns about vulnerable adults should be referred to the local District Adult Social Care office:
PO Box 224
Telephone: 0300 303 3249 Fax: 01768 812262 Email:email@example.com or the Emergency Duty Team: 01228 526690 out of normal office hours.
If you have any questions relating to these issues or policies please contact our Parish Safeguarding Officer, Elaine Jenkins, Revd David or Charles Proctor on the contact numbers above.